Wednesday, March 7, 2018

The tales of Breastfeeding a toddler





What a great joy Motherhood has brought to me, mouth opening experiences, happiness and laughter but one of the most cherished has been able to breastfeed my kids, it is one of my greatest accomplishments as a mom. Every day I thank Jesus Christ for blessing me with the gift of nursing, which is something some mothers struggle with and honestly, I never dreamt of nursing my kid this long. Right before both my daughters were born, I read about so many scary breast-feeding stories of how their nipples had been chewed off by their kids and I was always worried. I didn't want to be left without nipples 😡😡 but i also wondered if I would be able live up to the task. However the fun fact is that life doesn’t ever go the way you plan…. pff!
  
When I had my first daughter I had no idea that I would be nursing her this long, we went through so many challenges and bless her heart she is a go go-getter…… ha-ha-ha! The one thing people don’t tell you is how freakishly painful (as a first-time mom) breastfeeding can be. I mean you cannot imagine the hell your nipples have to go through just so your body can create nutritious food for your newborn. I remember my first time, I was so happy to hold my schoopie poo until the moment she needed to nurse and latched on…. yikes!! The first thing that went through my head was “what in God’s name is happening here!” my lactation consultant told me it was all normal to feel that kind of pain, as if child birth wasn’t painful enough …. LOL and to hope that it would get better. Every time she nursed I said to myself, “it will get better” those were the 4 words that got me through and lots of nipple cream but with all that pain and bruised nipples  – I was just happy that it took less than 10 tries to get her latched on well, I never thought we would grow this strong with all those painful feeling…. Not for one second.

As time passed, breastfeeding started to feel more normal, we grew more comfortable together So, I made a promise to keep this relationship going until she was two. As a mother you always want the best for your child and I had read about the benefits of breastfeeding and its advantages when its long termed. i tried pumping into a feeding bottle but the little bugger refused plastic....she wanted the real thing. After all was said and done here I am with my almost three years old daughter still breastfeeding but (not to complain) Jesus Christ! it can be exhausting sometimes.

I love nursing my toddler, but it can be frustrating especially when you have a five-month-old who still needs yum-yum time…. my daughter doesn’t take NO for an answer and that is one quality I love about her like I said she is a go-getter. Coming home with two breastfeeding kids was hand work, i tried to make feeding sesstions as special as possible, but sometimes it didn't go as i though it would. When my second daughter was born nursing her was a breeze, in fact I got compliments of how well she could latch on so easily and how beautiful my nipples were (words from the lactation consultant) I was like…. what?! My nipples just got praised for all their hard work…. awesome! So here I was with a new born having a wonderful moment until my first shows up to get in on the action.

Lucky for me she was sweet about sharing the boobs Aka... “yum-yum”, and I really cannot explain her reaction to when she saw her little sister in my arms for the first time (the best moment ever) but don’t worry because it didn’t last long. She was ready, in fact she hopped on the other side and there I was with two kids in my arms (the nurses could not believe it) breastfeeding. They bonded over “moms food truck” and that to me it was all worth it. That was a moment I would cherish forever they both where holding hands while sharing yum-yum.…. Very cute. Nursing brought her closer to her little sister and that melted my heart, this is one of the advantages of letting her nurse for so long. I have heard stories about kids being jealous of their siblings and I thought breastfeeding was a way to get them to bond faster plus I tried to get her to stop right before her sister arrived and nothing worked, she through serious tantrums and lots of yelling that gave me a migraine. Terrified of having a jealous kid I reduced her feeding session from all day to twice a day, it was better than taking her favorite toy away. Having TWO kids …. that was no joke and don’t get me started with the irritating feeling I get when both kids are nursing (it is suppose to be relaxing and fun) at the same time. It got to a point I tried cold turkey but she stood her ground, cried and screamed for a good two hours (not kidding) until she got what she wanted ‘yum-yum’, it was a struggle.

Nursing a toddler is no fun especially for me, but I do it because it’s best for my daughter. Many mothers have different experiences, and this is mine. I finally got her down to once daily which is at bed time and most of time i have to double feed just so she can fall asleep or not feel left out. I keep praying she would stop on her own soon. My nipples having lost all their sensitivity felt like they got bigger…HA-HA-HA my husband said they looked like chewed up leather (it sounded funnier) when he said it. Boobs have been more than just fun bags and i never appreciated them until my kids. I could not understand how much work the "girls" do can. I have a great respect for mothers who breastfeed toddlers because it not easy because they feed differently from babies. I hope you enjoyed this post of my struggle with nursing my toddler. I wanted to share this story with you guys and leave comments about your own experience and God bless you all.

Bed time routine....😖

XOXO

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Instagram

Blogger Template Created by pipdig